Inventory

First of all, this is a list that I really like. I don't think I've posted it on here before. It's Romance Minus the Schmaltz: 29 Falling-in-Love Movies We Actually Believe In. A pretty great inventory of movies like Annie Hall, Eternal Sunshine, Roman Holiday... movies that are definitely "romances" but have other little quirks that makes them accessible, appealing, and sometimes very real. I especially like how the writers explain their choices; a quote about Brokeback Mountain, for example: "...anyone who’s ever been in a long-distance relationship can identify with the feeling that the time spent with a beloved partner is portioned off from everyday life—so sacred and rare that it’s almost unreal." Wall-E made this list too, so trust me when I say it's worth checking out. I love a lot of the writing over at the AV Club; Nathan Rabin is one of my favorite things about twitter. If I lived in Chicago, my dream job would be being his intern, or just someone who could follow him around all day fanning him with palm fronds. Side note: the AV Club Taste Test column is a train wreck in the best way possible. I'm currently watching a video of Internet Eating Sensation Dave Cheng enjoying an entire chicken from a can. GROSS. But I can't look away.
The other thing I wanted to share was this cute little thing my friend Mike put up on facebook. Kind of one of those typical fill-in-the-blank things, but you have to pick one band and use their songs as your answers. He did it with Bikini Kill, or Buzzcocks, or some punk band with a B in their name. I chose the Old 97s because a)I love them, b)they have a pretty extensive catalogue, and c)their song titles are sometimes brilliant. So!
1. Are you a male or female: Singular Girl
2. Describe yourself: Victoria
3. How do you feel about yourself: Drowning in the Days
4. Describe your ex-boyfriend/girlfriend: The Fool
5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Timebomb
6. Describe your current location: I Will Remain
7. Describe where you want to be: Barrier Reef
8. Your best friend is: My Sweet Blue-Eyed Darlin'
9. Your favorite color is: Four Leaf Clover
10. What’s the weather like: Blinding Sheets of Rain
11. If your life was a television show what would it be called? Let The Idiot Speak
12. What is life to you: Murder (Or A Heart Attack)
13. What is the best advice you have to give: Dance With Me
14. If you could change your name what would you change it to: Adelaide
15. If there was a drink named after you, it would be called: Busted Afternoon
16. Favorite time of day?: She Loves the Sunset
17. Your favorite form of transportation?: Old Familiar Steam
18. In the morning: Hands Off
19. At night: Designs on You
20. Describe your sex life: Melt Show
21. My theme song would be: The Other Shoe

0 comments: