Cheesecake Brownies

I made a cheesecake a few weeks ago, and I mistakenly bought an extra 8 oz. package of light cream cheese. I've been thinking about how to use it up in a delicious way, and I found some interesting recipes but none were exactly right. Since I was characteristically lazy today, I opted for the simplest and quickest way possible to make them. And they are awesome. I couldn't find a recipe that gave good ratios for the cheesecake part of the ingredients, so I made up my own!

Here's the deal:
-mix one of those pre-made brownie packages as per directions. If you're up for it (and it takes almost no time anyway, but I already had a decent pile of dishes to do and I didn't want to add more measuring utensils), make your own. Enough to fill an 8"x8" glass baking pan, anyway. After that's all mixed up, in another smaller bowl take your softened cream cheese and beat it until it's nice and creamy (that's what she said). mix in one egg and 1/4c. sugar, and a dash of pure vanilla extract (another option would be a dash of strong coffee or a teaspoon of instant espresso powder). Mix it up real good, with electric beaters if you have them, or a spatula if you don't (like me. my wrist's aching like a bitch [again, that's what she said]). Spread half of the brownie mix into a greased brownie pan, then throw in the cheesecake part. try and spread it evenly over the brownie layer if you can. Spread the other half of the brownie mix on top, and use a knife or a blunt spatula to swirl the batters together which makes a nice marble effect on your final product. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes - when I first took it out I thought it wasn't all cooked, but the toothpick test worked. Let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing. So good!

0 comments: