I went to a rave last night, and all I could think of was "why, oh why, do so many people enjoy this experience?" I mean, it's repetitive music, spastic dancing, floors slick with spilled booze, and a huge crowd of people. I honestly don't see the appeal. I suppose if I were really really high it might be fun, but even then I can just see it being a little too trippy and I think I'd start freaking out about all the flashing lights.
I repeatedly left to go and get some air (and enjoy some not-so-fresh air), mostly just to get out of that room. I ended up calling a friend (for lack of a better term) in Alberta, because he was someone I knew would understand why I needed a break, and provide me with some great conversation. That's the thing about this person - great conversation. I could talk to him for hours. Hell, I have talked to him for hours. We only got about 20 minutes in, because it was finally time to get the hell out of there. We've seen each other at least once a year, back home, but we've never seen each other in our own cities. The subject came up again last night, and it seemed to be the most earnest and concrete plan we've ever discussed.
Once I got home, I kept thinking about this possibility. I actually planned out exactly what we'd do, from lunch in the old port to curling up on the couch to watch Spinal Tap (why Spinal Tap? I don't know.), and I felt like it was really happening. Not even in a drunk, hallucinatory way. It was awesome. When I woke up this morning (okay, almost this afternoon), I looked around to see where he'd gone. It took about 6 minutes to remember that he was not, in fact, here in Montreal yet.
The fact that he has a girlfriend might make this a little more complicated, but for now I'm choosing to ignore that variable.
Lately I've been having very resolving dreams. Whatever issues and problems that come up during the day are solved overnight. I wake up feeling relaxed and efficient before realizing that nothing has been dealt with. The most frustrating part is forgetting how I resolved certain things.. and those I can remember aren't exactly logical in real life. Whoops.
What makes someone have incredibly vivid dreams? For the past few months I haven't had anything surreal going on in them; it's just day-to-day life, and all the aspects I can remember are pretty mundane. They could have actually happened (not necessarily today, but in the past few years). I really want my subconscious to give me something wacky someday soon, something truly dream-worthy. Let's work on that.

0 comments: